Monday, August 23, 2010

Cherry Chocolate Shake

During one of our summer vacations, our family went out for a quick bite to eat. Of course my boys quickly spotted a milk shake on the menu. Not just your normal milkshake, a cherry chocolate milkshake. They begged for it …and I gave in, but I made them share it. It was gone before you knew it. However, they did manage to rave about how good it was for the next few days. Then I realized something….I could make this milkshake myself! It’s so simple. As usual, my version is just as good - minus the dairy and added sugar. That’s right, it’s healthier. But don’t worry, my boys didn’t notice the difference, I doubt you will either. They thought it was just as good as the one they had on the trip.

What you’ll need:

1 -2 cups of vanilla soymilk. See below for soymilk replacements.
1 frozen banana
6-8 fresh cherries, pitted
2 scoops of cocoa or *raw cocoa

Put ingredients in your Vita-Mix or food processor. Zip it up and you’ve got yourself one yummy treat.

Remember, if you want to make this raw, or you're simply trying to stay away from soy products, just use a freshly made vanilla nutmilk! See our previous post for the recipe. If you can’t make your own, and you really don’t want to use soy, purchase an almond or rice milk instead.

*Raw Cocoa is simply the cocoa bean that has not been dried above a certain temperature. This way you still receive the health benefits that Raw Cocoa has to offer. Yes, I did say health benefits. Seriously. Here is a link if you are interested in learning more:
http://www.rawcacao.com/

2 comments:

  1. yum! I tend to do blueberry smoothies... I'll hafta try this one soon. Need to get some fresh cherries. :)
    ~Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to love this one. Just made blueberry smoothies. will get them up eventually too.

    ReplyDelete